Pumpkin and Five Spice MuffinsSeptember 13, 2022 • Cooking & Craft
If you are looking for the perfect autumn treat for your children, try these delicious and simple pumpkin and five spice muffins.
Why not make these delicious and easy treats with your children this autumn? They are best enjoyed after a long walk on a blustery afternoon (make sure to wrap up warm before heading outside).
How many offending bags of slightly random spice do you have, bought for one particular recipe, clogging up the draws, spilling off the shelves, going stale or just really irritating the heck out of you? Chinese five spice is definitely one of those offending aromatics! We always have a leaking packet somewhere. So here’s a recipe finally, to use up those dregs from that BBQ pork or crispy duck recipe that you make only once a year.
Muffins are the sort of baked good that is easy to prepare the night before (for maximum smug parenting points): Simply assemble all the dry goods together and all the wet. Leave these overnight. Bring the ingredients together first thing in the morning, to send your darlings to school with hot-cake-in-the-hand.
Makes 9 deep muffins
2 medium free-range eggs
80ml whole milk
120ml rapeseed or vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
200g grated squash
200g soft brown sugar
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp five spice
a pinch of sea salt
1) Preheat the oven to 190c
2) Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
3) In a measuring jug, combine the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat until it is thick and emulsified. Pile the grated pumpkin into this, mix and leave to stand.
3) In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, five spice and salt.
4) Using a whisk or fork, work this until there are no lumps and you have a fine mix that is entirely uniform. You can’t mix this too much.
5) To finish, pour the wet goods into the dry goods. Using a large spoon or spatula, very quickly bring the ingredients together, mixing as little as possible. You can even still have some lumps or pockets of different consistency, as all this will even out in the oven.
6) Using a tablespoon, fill the paper cases until nearly at the top. Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
You can either eat this fresh out of the oven or serve with a dollop of cream cheese icing when they are cool.