Chicken, Almond & Apricot TagineSeptember 1, 2015 • Cooking & Craft
The wonderful chefs of Cooking Them Healthy share their delicious recipe for a hearty tagine with us.
This fragrant gluten free tagine is the ultimate exotic family dish. The warming spices bring their antioxidant immune supportive benefits, and the apricots and raisins provide both sweetness and a source of fibre. The almonds add an instant thick and creaminess to the dish. It would work brilliantly for younger family members as well as for grown up dinner party too.
400g left over roasted chicken or 2 chicken breasts cut into mouthful chunks
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
80g ground almonds
80g dried apricots (chopped our whole depending on your family ages)
500ml chicken stock (preferably homemade)
1 small white onion, sliced
1 clove garlic pasted
- Start off by sweating the onions gently in a large frying pan until softened and translucent. Next add in your garlic paste and spices and cook out for about 20 seconds – making sure not to burn either.
- Add your roasted chicken to the pan and mix together. If you are using chicken breasts – simply remove the onions and spice mix and pan fry your chicken pieces to get some colour on them and then to cook them all the way through, then add the onions and spices back to the pan and mix all together.
- Next add 3/4 of the chicken stock into the pan.
- Sprinkle in the ground almonds and you will see the dish transform and thicken. Add in the rest of the stock to loosen along side adding the raisins and dried apricots.
- Taste and season if necessary. If too thick just add a splash more water.
There you have it! Enjoy with either a bowl of fluffy brown rice or roasted sweet potato.
For more easy & fun cooking & craft ideas see here!