How to Build a Bug HotelApril 30, 2020 • Get Outdoors
No plans for the weekend? Why not build your very own bug hotel?
Building your very own bug hotel is an easy and rewarding outdoor project for the whole family. All you need is a few natural materials and you are all set.
You will need:
- A selection of tissue boxes, paints, glue, stickers and labels to decorate your boxes
- Natural materials such as small sticks, leaves, damp bark, pine cones
- White or see-through plastic tubs or pots, plant potters
- Magnifying glasses
How to play:
1) Take the children outside with their magnifying glasses and see what mini beasts they can find under rocks, stones and leaves
2) Using the pencil and the play dough, place a small ball of play dough on the inside of the box, on the side and use the pencil to make two or three small holes in the box, and explain these are doors for the bugs to get in and out of the hotel.
3) Ask the children to make labels for the bugs they would like to invite to their bug hotel
4) Now it’s time to decorate the boxes and fill them with natural materials.
5) Place the boxes outside on the ground and wait for your first guests. Ask your children to look out for insects and allow them to put them in their bug hotel. Observe the insects with a magnifying glass. Make sure to let your little guests out when you’re done.