Build An Easy Bug HotelJune 2, 2019 • Get Outdoors
No plans for the weekend? Why not build your very own bug hotel?
Creating a bug hotel is one of the easiest outdoor crafts you can do with your children – you just need to collect a few simple ingredients and you can build away!
You will need:
- A selection of tissue boxes, paints, glue, stickers and labels to decorate your boxes
- Natural materials such as small sticks, leaves, damp bark, pine cones
- White or see through plastic tubs or pots, pooters
- Magnifying glasses
How to play:
1) Take the children outside with their magnifying glasses and see what mini beasts they can find under rocks, stones and leaves
2) Using the pencil and the play dough, place a small ball of play dough on the inside of the box, on the side and use the pencil to make two or three small holes in the box, and explain these are doors for the bugs to get in and out of the hotel.
3) Ask the children to make labels for the bugs they would like to invite to their bug hotel
4) Now it’s time to decorate the boxes and fill them with natural materials.
5) Place the boxes outside on the ground and wait for your first guests. Ask your children to look out for insects and allow them to put them in their bug hotel. Observe the insects with a magnifying glass. Make sure to let your little guests out when you’re done.