Awesome Aubergine Bake From Little Dish!March 17, 2017 • Cooking & Craft
Learn how you and your little one can get creative in the kitchen with this tasty and healthy Aubergine Bake from The Little Dish Family Cookbook, it’s guaranteed to be winner! Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 large aubergines
- 250g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add the garlic and gently cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and mixed herbs and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergines into 1cm thick rounds. Brush both sides with the remaining oil and sauté in a non-stick frying pan over a low to medium heat, turning a few times until very soft (about 5 minutes each side). It’s important to get the aubergine as tender as possible, so take extra time if needed.
- Season the tomato sauce, to taste. Spread a few spoonfuls of sauce across the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Place about a third of the aubergines in a layer over the sauce. Cover with a layer of mozzarella (again, about a third) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat twice more, and end with a thin layer of sauce. Cover with the remaining Parmesan and bake for 30–40 minutes until bubbling.